Thread: hatter tools and supplies

1. hatter tools and supplies

My father in law is wanting to get into the hatter business, he has a passion for it and buys a lot of custom hats. He wanted me to do some research and see how hard it would be to get ahold of the necassary tools and machines to build bodies to the finished products? any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated

Danny we can supply both the tools and training for your father in law to become a hat maker. Please let us know how to help you more or better.
    Charlie

I am not sure of the key to success but the key to failure is trying to please everyone .

People that get on in this world are those who look around for the circumstances they want!
    If they can’t find them, they create them.

3. great deal

Wow, that was easier than i expected, lol. Is there a catalog or anything that we can look at? What do you think the start upcosts would be in just tools and supplies? rough estimate is close enough, i know it could probably vary. he is wanting to do mainly western hats.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannymac4 View Post
    Wow, that was easier than i expected, lol. Is there a catalog or anything that we can look at? What do you think the start upcosts would be in just tools and supplies? rough estimate is close enough, i know it could probably vary. he is wanting to do mainly western hats.

Danny this will be the most difficult journey that he has ever embarked on if he gets into it. Not sure how he can get into it to be honest with you as you are doing the posting and he is the one wanting to be in. I should say I am sure how he will and that is by telephone if he uses the phone and not the computer.

The original answer that I gave you is correct. The reason it is correct is that I have spent millions of dollars and 16 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year for the past 8 years trying to revive a dying business globally and nationally.

There is no catalogs. There is few suppliers. There is no suppliers that will give him the time of day unless he finds the ones he will not wish to work with as they are not selling what he needs to work with but will tell him they are. The few suppliers left are they due to mega hat makers still being in biz to make the hats and yet they now make junk as this is all the mega hat makers now wish to have.

I think the cost of tools and supplies will be dependent on the quality and number of hats he wishes to make and where he wishes to make real hats or dabble in the hat making trade as many currently are on a novice level and genuinely think they are making hats of quality as they are making hats similar to their hatter heroes that also make hats of questionable quality. You can read questionable quality as same junk the rest make.

I have started hatters up this year that plan to make a few hats a month all by hand and it cost them a few 1000 dollars to be set up and making hats. What they have done with that varies from one that we helped set up a few years back that is a mega success right now with his second store front and plenty of connections and a serious player in the game now to the ones that are making hats for them and their friends on worn out blocks and flanges that should have hit the dumpster 50 years ago and they think they have some great treasures.

I can tell you of another man that is a member here that likely has invested close to a half million this year and not all with me but has invested and his VERY first hat he made, he took in to another western hatter that is on top of his game and reason was two fold. He had bought a hat from this man or more than one as he did from every well known hatter out there and this time however he wore in the hat he had made and again his first one and showed it to the old master that had to admit the hat he wore in was nicer than the one he had bought and was made for him. The old master was then stunned to find this man had not only made this hat but it was his very first one. This man will likely invest another 100,000.00 dollars this and next year and by next year be set up to produce several 1000 hats a year.

I have set up companies in China that are doing mostly Jewish hats and they have spent millions but this is dedicated factories with a captive audience.

The western market as well has a captive audience and the real money is there and not in dress hats. Western hats are so easy to make as well compared and they are the money makers.

So now you may see this is not so easy after all. The stuff I have right now may all sell today or next month in a single sell as I have a few perspective buyers. Fortunatly we are producing most things brand new again with exceptions and we will be able to get him started if he is wishing to invest.

Now I said all this and I will add to it. You made a good post and you may or may not be deluged with emails and PM's from hatters all over wishing to rid their junk and make it yours but I doubt it due to they are not going to take you serious due to it is not you starting the biz. We do not talk business generally on the hat forum in specifics. Glad to talk generally as I am now.

If you wish to conduct business, you will need to have your FIL to call me at 276-926-6423 or email me at gladhatter@gladhatter.net.

I am positive I can help him if he wished to be serious about this.

I will make one point that you may wish to consider. Your current thinking of how much does it cost, is diametrically opposed to the thinking that will bring you success and will only bring you failure. Not being mean or dising you but instead telling you sage advise from a old hatter that knows. All that continue in this path do not make it in the big time.

The ones that do make it instead ask how much will this profit me when I buy it.

I hope my candor has been of some help to you. I am here to serve the hat industry and yet I am a hat maker and not a hat supplies supplier but am doing more supplying than anyone recently but it is NOT our business to do this and we cannot offer you the premium care you should expect due to we do not do this for a living. We do it to keep the hat biz living and that is far too complex to explain in any short way.
    Charlie

I am not sure of the key to success but the key to failure is trying to please everyone .

People that get on in this world are those who look around for the circumstances they want!

5. I appreciate the honesty and the strive you posses for this industry. I should have been more precise in my first thread post. the cost of start up is not the important thing, I understand that investments are nessesary to become sucessful in any business. Actually I am the one that will be the hatter and manage the hat shop along with my custom silversmith and engraving, he will be my CEO. It has been an idea for a couple of years now and we are both ready to go full swing. I am the hesitant one about taking risks but he is a sucessful business man already and got that way by taking risks. We just dont know exactly how to get it all together and what we need. I appreciate your number and will be calling you ASAP. Thank you for all the input and help. The one thing I know is that we want to build a top quality, custom product. I want to be able to reblock, refurbish, trim, reband, put new silks in, pencile roll, sweat bands, take bodies and finish them out on cheaper hats. My father in law has a friend that has a shop and he asked about getting equipment and he was told that you couldnt find it anymore. Please exuse my ignorance in this, i do not want you to think I am wasting your time. What is FIL?
    Last edited by Dannymac4; 12-02-10 at 12:45 AM. Reason: adding text

Danny, I thank you for clarifying and you certainly are not wasting my time. We help folks get a single block and flange quite often with their sworn commitment it is all they ever want. We help others that get a single block that are committed to getting a vast shop. We never know what is realistic for them and what is not but still try to help them fill the dream.

Whom ever said you cannot get this stuff anymore told the truth as they knew it and 8 years ago you could not get anything much and it is not a lot better today but we can provide everything but it takes time and money.

I know see you are the artisan here and that does clarify a lot.

You ask what is FIL and I do not have a clue what FIL is.

I am not a very educated person and if it is the language of the youth, then I likely did not learn it.

I am grateful for the opportunity to help any way I can. We have 2-3 hatters a year come in here and visit for training and not sure when we can take on another but certainly I have trained them up by the dozens by phone and forum and email. Email is not the easy way.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Dannymac4 View Post
    My father in law is wanting to get into the hatter business, he has a passion for it and buys a lot of custom hats. He wanted me to do some research and see how hard it would be to get ahold of the necassary tools and machines to build bodies to the finished products? any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated

Under my wife's handle on eBay right now we have about 20+ auctions for hat machines and some supplies.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/nothermanstr...1&_from=&_ipg=
    Charlie

8. I really hope this is still in action.Would love to look at the plans in 3d.
    640-553 course pass4sure 640-553 course
    220-701 course pass4sure 220-701 course
    640-864 course pass4sure 640-864 course
    642-437 course pass4sure 642-437 course
    646-206 course pass4sure 646-206 course
    350-018 course pass4sure 350-018 course
    questions from pass4sure questions from pass4sure
    leather4sure http://leather4sure.com

Quote Originally Posted by hadriya9091 View Post
    I really hope this is still in action.Would love to look at the plans in 3d.

Would you love to pay as much for the plans as the machine cost, however? Plans cost more than the machine generally.
    Charlie

10. thank you charlie...

you may not know much about me ,but I have been a hatter for 35 years,and since I haven't posted here before,Im sure this may not mean very much,but,what I would like to say is a heartfelt thank you,I have read many of your threads and postings,and you are truly a genuine and honest person,I came up in the hat business the hard way,scrubbing hats for older hat makers with naptha,and trichlorethelene,then some light shaping over the years,soon I developed a love for the trade,traveled all over the country learning what I could from whomever would give me the time of day. There was was a lot of talent out there once upon a time,men like jay lee out of abiline,roberts hats in the same town,manny gammage out of budda tx,the family that used to run texas hatters were also very knowledgeable,and helpful,just to name a few,but a lot of the hatters out there were very selfish with their wisdom,and I realize when it takes years to master something ,most wont just give that info away,but every time I read another one of your postings,your helping another person,you give information freely and openly,something I too have done for years,and it makes me smile knowing the true generousity of your wisdom is out there .

11. I was wondering...

now that I have broken the ice,would you know of any duran ,spring arm, crown ironing machines out there,?I too have been in the process of getting another hat shop up and running,and this is the hardest piece to find,next to the conformature and formillion...oh course. thanks for you help. markus